Thursday, February 17, 2011

Vintage pins

As much as I love to sew, sometimes I hate to sew. I hate using patterns and I really hate measuring and pinning things. I've lost countless pins in the carpet over the years, bent almost as many and stabbed myself billions of times because I have to push the pins in so hard. Lets not forget the time I actually hit a pin with my sewing machine needle, broke the needle in half which then flew off and hit me right next to the eye.
So I don't pin anymore. This is why every large project I've ever sewn has come out wonky in one way or another. Any time someone complements me on a halloween costume I've made my daughter, I start chanting in my head "oh please don't look at the inside, oh please don't check to see if my stitches are straight"

Which takes me to my favorite sewing thing I own...pins.

I was given all sorts of sewing, knitting and crochet things when my husband's aunt passed away. These, I've cherished from the moment I laid eyes on them.

I've always had the habit of loving something kind of small and inconsequential. I love tiny sugar bowls and glass jars of every kind. It may sound silly, but I just love these pins. I love the discoloration of the cube they're stored in. Something about the light blue and yellowing of age appeals to me. It sings of a time where every woman knew how to sew, because their mothers, grandmothers, sisters and friends all did and were taught by example. I'm a little jealous.

Aside from the fact that they have that nifty swirl and come in interesting colors and sizes, they're built really well. You hear it all the time, but they just don't make things like they used to. These pins are long, thick and don't snag. They're a heavy gauge so I never have to shove them in so hard they bend, I'm not sure I could bend them without seriously trying.
I ordered some bamboo terry fabric to make diapers for my daughter the other day and I finally got to cutting and pinning (eek!) them yesterday afternoon and it just struck me, these pins are awesome.

I don't know what the brand is, or what they're called. The pin cube they're in belongs to the plain black pins that are also stuck in there. I have no idea what I'd google if I wanted to find more...but I have the feeling if I ever came across more, I'd pay a stupid amount of money for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment